The Head Baker leads the Back of House, taking ownership of all things related to baking and maintaining an organized and efficient process for regular operations. They operate with attention to detail and emotionally intelligent leadership, creating robust systems, a vibrant culture and a healthy team setting. They run the BOH in compliance with all health and safety regulations, always ensuring adherence to sanitary and safe food handling guidelines. The Head Baker is instrumental in fulfilling the goals of the Wild Flour, executing the company philosophy and brand to delight our customers.
Reports directly to: General Manager
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Supervise and participate in the production and presentation of baked goods to ensure high quality and consistency.
• Oversee the savory operations.
• Responsible for monthly inventory and ordering of food and supplies.
• Operate and maintain all BOH equipment and report any malfunctions.
• Ensure BOH operations adhere to the highest standards in compliance with OH&S, hygiene, and food safety regulations.
• Take and fulfill wholesale orders.
• Develop seasonal offerings and features.
• Keep up to date with new recipes and preparation techniques.
• Coach and provide leadership to all BOH staff according to the values and culture of the Wild Flour Bakery.
• Prepare weekly BOH staff schedules and monitor staffing levels to align with the determined budget.
• Recruit, train, and develop all BOH employees.
• Participate in weekly operational meetings.
• Develop and execute innovative tactics to manage costs, minimize waste and meet production volume targets.
• Develop menu items that enhance the Wild Flour brand and financial objectives.
• Make recommendations and provide input for the annual Wild Flour budget.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Experience
Education, Qualifications and Experience:
• Culinary Education, Trade Papers, Red Seal or equivalent.
• Food Safe Certification.
• Professional bread baking experience required.
• Minimum of 6 years’ combined experience in the trade of cooking.
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a leadership role, preferably in the area of baking or pastry.
Skills and Competencies:
• Extensive knowledge of food handling and sanitation standards.
• Adept at using all commercial-bakery equipment.
• Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills.
• Financial management skills, e.g., understanding and managing operating budgets, forecasting, and scheduling.
• Ability to acquire and maintain relationships with associates, customers, vendors and the wider community.
• Knowledge of overall operations as they affect kitchen and related areas.
• Strongly demonstrated culinary creativity.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Self-motivated, with a positive attitude and a consistent display of professionalism.
• Proficient in MS Office and other common software applications.
• Innovative, detail-oriented, and quality-conscious.
• Ability to recognize, follow and influence food service trends in preparation and presentation.
The Wild Flour Bakery is committed to creating opportunities for learning and growth within our teams. If you are looking to develop your career and have a passion for baking, plus some of the skills listed above, we encourage you to apply even if you do not meet the full criteria.