Contact: Jonathan Knight
Title: Head Baker | New craft bakery
City: Prince Rupert
Position: Craft Bakery Head Baker, Full time
Qualifications: Baker Red Seal; Baker Certificate Program; or 2 years experience working in a scratch bakery, ideally with a craft bread focus
Location: Prince Rupert BC
Start date: May/June 2022
Background: This is a newly established craft bread bakery & food hub project, initiated and managed by the Gitxaała Nation and located in the characteristic Cow Bay waterfront district of Prince Rupert BC. The bakery is to be an integrated production bakery and skills training site, and as such applicants should have a strong passion for teaching craft baking skills. The main purpose of the project is twofold: to diversify the skilled, worthwhile employment opportunities in Prince Rupert; and to increase the availability of better, healthier food options locally while enhancing regional food security.
Job Description: As Head Baker, you are first and foremost responsible for the daily production and the smooth operation of the bakery. The focus is on craft breads, produced from organic ingredients, natural fermentation, and hearth baking, from the skilled hands of the craftsperson. An evolving selection of pastry items will be offered alongside.
You will supervise and work with trainee bakers, assigning tasks suitable to their skill level. The focus of this bakery is on the process rather than strictly on the production; as such you have a demonstrated passion for the skills and craftsmanship of baking that you love to share. You enjoy working with others and display understanding, compassion and give dignity to people with limited workplace skills and experience.
Given the nature of this bakery facility as a skills-training bakery, workplace safety and food safety are paramount. The work of a baker involves both heavy lifting and repetitive motions, and you must be able to clearly demonstrate how to safely accomplish these tasks. You understand the inherent dangers with bakery equipment, and can strongly instill safe operating procedures in your co-workers. You possess a strong understanding of Food Safe procedures and are responsible for making sure they are strictly followed, and that the facility is kept to a high degree of cleanliness at all times.
Your suitability for this position is demonstrated by your Red-Seal Baker qualification or equivalent, your completion of a Baker Certificate course offered by a recognized trade school, or your proven work experience in scratch bakeries that utilize the skills required for this position. You shall report directly to the general manager, and you will work together with the bakery consultant to establish the initial product line and production schedule. You have the creativity and experience to develop new products, and the organizational and multi-tasking skills appropriate to running a diverse bakery operation.
Salary: $5000 per month plus incentives.
Apply: by email with résumé, qualifications and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank-you for your interest in this unique opportunity, please email or visit https://saltwaterbakery.ca if you would like further information.
Contact: Nick Veriker
Title: Bread Baker
The Head Baker leads the Back of House, taking ownership of all things related to baking and maintaining an organized and efficient process for regular operations. They operate with attention to detail and emotionally intelligent leadership, creating robust systems, a vibrant culture and a healthy team setting. They run the BOH in compliance with all health and safety regulations, always ensuring adherence to sanitary and safe food handling guidelines. The Head Baker is instrumental in fulfilling the goals of the Wild Flour, executing the company philosophy and brand to delight our customers.
Reports directly to: General Manager
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Supervise and participate in the production and presentation of baked goods to ensure high quality and consistency.
• Oversee the savory operations.
• Responsible for monthly inventory and ordering of food and supplies.
• Operate and maintain all BOH equipment and report any malfunctions.
• Ensure BOH operations adhere to the highest standards in compliance with OH&S, hygiene, and food safety regulations.
• Take and fulfill wholesale orders.
• Develop seasonal offerings and features.
• Keep up to date with new recipes and preparation techniques.
• Coach and provide leadership to all BOH staff according to the values and culture of the Wild Flour Bakery.
• Prepare weekly BOH staff schedules and monitor staffing levels to align with the determined budget.
• Recruit, train, and develop all BOH employees.
• Participate in weekly operational meetings.
• Develop and execute innovative tactics to manage costs, minimize waste and meet production volume targets.
• Develop menu items that enhance the Wild Flour brand and financial objectives.
• Make recommendations and provide input for the annual Wild Flour budget.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Experience
Education, Qualifications and Experience:
• Culinary Education, Trade Papers, Red Seal or equivalent.
• Food Safe Certification.
• Professional bread baking experience required.
• Minimum of 6 years’ combined experience in the trade of cooking.
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a leadership role, preferably in the area of baking or pastry.
Skills and Competencies:
• Extensive knowledge of food handling and sanitation standards.
• Adept at using all commercial-bakery equipment.
• Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills.
• Financial management skills, e.g., understanding and managing operating budgets, forecasting, and scheduling.
• Ability to acquire and maintain relationships with associates, customers, vendors and the wider community.
• Knowledge of overall operations as they affect kitchen and related areas.
• Strongly demonstrated culinary creativity.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Self-motivated, with a positive attitude and a consistent display of professionalism.
• Proficient in MS Office and other common software applications.
• Innovative, detail-oriented, and quality-conscious.
• Ability to recognize, follow and influence food service trends in preparation and presentation.
The Wild Flour Bakery is committed to creating opportunities for learning and growth within our teams. If you are looking to develop your career and have a passion for baking, plus some of the skills listed above, we encourage you to apply even if you do not meet the full criteria.
Contact: Jennifer Luo
Title: TECHNICAL ADVISOR
A family business with more than 2,900 employees worldwide, uniting tradition and progress and along with a great deal of dedication, commitment and competence, inspiring customers around the globe with first-class baking ingredients and malts – that is IREKS!
∙ Support sales team initiatives with baking knowledge and technical insight
∙ Work collaboratively with all functions to promote the IREKS brand of products
∙ Develop and maintain customer relationship at both industrial and artisan baker level
∙ Create concepts and recipes to support product execution at customer level
∙ Train, support and develop sales team and customers to better understand product portfolio
∙ Full understanding of all aspects of the bakery profession including problem solving across all channels
∙ 5 to 10 years of Technical sales experience in baking
∙ Degree as a master baker
∙ Strong analytical skill
∙ Competent in Microsoft Office
∙ Strong communication skills – customer oriented – strong net worker
∙ Team player, self-motivated and a positive attitude
∙ Have a valid driver’s license
∙ Willing to do travel approximately 40%
Contact: Mary Sargent
Title: Corporate Pastry Chef/Baker
CORPORATE PASTRY CHEF AND BAKER
SASKATOON MEADOWS MARKET
Our client is an exciting new best-of-class neighborhood grocery store. It is an exciting new concept that will include a diverse in-store bakery consisting of pastry arts and specialty breads as well as an in-store restaurant featuring quality meals and creative desserts.
With the rapid development of their business, they are looking for an experienced and creative Corporate Pastry Chef and Baker to join the team. The Corporate Pastry Chef and Baker will develop recipes, prepare pastry goods and breads that are unique and creative, ensuring superior quality and consistency. In this “hands-on” leadership role, you will also train other chefs and cooks who are working at their flagship store in the Meadows and at other new locations, including their soon to open, corporate central kitchen.
This is a rare opportunity for a visionary, creative, motivated individual well versed in the pastry and bread arts with a passion for delicious creations and a strong entrepreneurial mind set to delight and exceed customer expectation.
• Create, design, and improve recipes
• Develop new dessert, pastries, and bread recipes with a keen sense of art and design to drive business growth
• Research market trends to continually improve the creativity of the Pastry/Bake Shop
• Plan, prep, set up and prepare quality products in all areas of the Pastry/Bake Shop
• Prepare and direct the production of all baked goods for required volume
• Order all raw materials and kitchen supplies needed to maintain production of required volume
• Seek continual improvement to products to affect cost efficiencies without reduction in quality.
• Adhere to standards and policies for cold chain compliance, thermometer calibrations, temperature recording, food handling, product rotation, sell-by dates, and expiration dates, including identifying and removing bakery merchandise that is distressed or unacceptable in appearance
• Maintain the pastry/bake shop and its equipment in a clean, sanitary, and fully operational condition
• Create recipes for custom requested items and keep menu items on current trends
• Greet customers, answer questions, make recommendations, accept orders and payments, and provide exceptional customer service
• Demonstrate strong leadership as an ambassador in assisting customers in finding merchandise in all areas of the store
• Accurately and efficiently prepare Bakery merchandise to bake, package, finish, and stock the department
• Maintain the overall appearance of the Bakery area, by keeping merchandise and display full while also being aware of the entire store’s overall quality of appearance, fullness, and cleanliness
• Demonstrate and train new baking techniques, recipes and new equipment to other chefs and cooks who are working at our flagship store and other locations
• Lead our pastry chefs and cooks to execute consistently according to the recipes and standards in terms of taste and appearance
• Be a hands-on Pastry Mentor and Team member supporting the Culinary Team as a whole
• Ensure pastry goods quality, inventory level and wastage are adhered to our standards
• Control labor and operating expenses through effective scheduling, budgeting, purchasing decisions, and inventory control
• Implement established safety policies and ensure they are followed
• Coordinate the selection, training, development, and evaluation of in the pastry/bake shop through effective management and leadership to ensure that established cultural and core standards are met
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE/CRITICAL SKILLS/ABILITIES:
• High school graduation
• Degree or Certificate in culinary arts, pastry-making, baking, or relevant field is required
• At least 5 years of overall culinary experience with a minimum of 3 years as a pastry chef/baker in a commercial environment, specializing in pastry design and creation
• Minimum 2 years of pastry/bread production supervisory experience in a commercial environment
• Confident creative pastry techniques and skills
• Great communication and delegation skills
• Track record of leading and developing teams through clearly articulating expectations and holding team accountable
• Strong resource management capabilities
• Outstanding organizational and time management skills
• Possess an eye for detail and can execute standards accordingly
• Solid understanding of financial analysis (profit/loss, cash flow, pricing, labor, expenses) to drive revenue and make decisions affecting the finances of the business
• A customer-centric focus that exceeds expectations
• High attention to detail
• Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to work independently and cohesively and collectively as part of a team
• Basic computer skills
• Flexibility to work around customer demands, including early morning, night, weekend, and holiday availability
• Capable of working in extreme temperatures and for prolonged periods of standing and/or walking.
• A minimum of Food Save Level One
Please respond with resume to Mary Sargent – email@example.com
Contact: Heather Goodman
Title: Baker/Pastry Chef wanted
Our growing bakery and café is looking for a full-time baker or pastry chef to help us in our Newmarket location. We are a friendly and current space in Newmarket’s historic downtown and are growing rapidly. The successful candidate will have baking and kitchen experience from industry and/or culinary training school. Food Handler’s certificate is required.
Contact: Sheena Howdle
Title: Pastry Baker
Do you believe in real food? If you have baking experience and want to help bring fresh, handmade food to the people of Banff, join the Wild Flour Bakery team as a Pastry/Baker. You’ll work with a small, friendly team in the heart of our community. And if you love life in Banff as much as we do, we’ll help you rise to your full potential. This role offers competitive wages and great benefits, including hotel and restaurant discounts, centrally located staff accommodation, an employee ski pass program and regular team events and activities.
What you’ll do:
Prepare and bake varieties of breads and pastries according to the Wild Flour recipes and standards and create new and innovating recipes.
Help to raise the standards within the department and bring new concepts forward.
Work as part of a team, maintaining open communication with colleagues.
What you’ll need:
Minimum of 2 years’ experience as a Pastry Chef preferred.
Culinary Education Trade Papers, Red Seal or Equivalent preferred.
Passion for nourishing food and sustainable practices.
Motivated and creative team player.
How to apply:
If you think you are the right person for this job, we’d love to hear from you. You can view a detailed job description at https://www.wildflourbakery.ca/jobs . When you’re ready to apply, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants that apply, but only those deemed qualified by our hiring manager will be contacted.
The Wild Flour Bakery is part of Arctos & Bird, a local company with a vision: to build a better future through environmental sustainability and giving back to our community. When you work with us, you’re part of something bigger.